Nov 11, 2007

Visual Principles (Part 2) Colour: Personalized your notebook: Assignment 5

So here is the next assignment... design a hp laptop skin and use good colors...haha I chose the themes love and nature. WHY?

Alright... we live in a garden city of Singapore... but still is urban... our only primary rainforest is like bukit timah hill... so why not design on nature... nature that symbolizes beauty, growth and nurture.

Love is definitely a personal emotion to my opinion. Can you imagine a world without love. The love I am referring to here is more of boy girl relationship. Being in a relationship for 6years. Love from him definitely supported me in times of sadness and loneliness.

Theme: Nature (thumbnail sketches)

The first thought that came into my mind for nature was flowers, sunshine, water and leaves. haha I personally like roses especially red ones. (symbolizes passionate you see. thats why!)

Theme: Love (thumbnail sketches)



The above sketch basically represents the attraction between 2 people. (the electric shock waves between their eyes) and them holding hands together. haha i think my sketch is quite kiddy.

Was kind of influenced by the first theme nature. So i decided to draw love as it is... from the "heart".

Prototype 1:
(Sketch 1)
So finally, I decided to incorporate the love designs into my nature theme. This is because I feel that for nature to flourish, love is definitely needed in nurturing them.

Product:

Presented this in class, I wanted to create a different feeling of the top cover being bright and the inner skin to represent that water was the reason to the successful growth of nature. Notice the glimpse of light on the rose? haha I was playing around with the illustrator and I thought what a cool effect it was and it could be used to symbolize life (a glimpse of hope). The water was done through adobe photoshop CS3 in the lab, suddenly felt like exploring adobe photoshop. Ok... I admit, I am kinda fickle minded when it comes to choose what program to use.

Comments given:
-looked like 2 different designs for different laptops.
-heart shape used too commonly. Therefore, it was better to use a simple rose.
-broken stem seems to represent breakage instead of positive associations.
-Grass did not look like grass.

Prototype 2:
(Sketch 1)
Sketched out another design for my inner laptop skin. A leaf that had water droplets on it.

Product:
Yup... so I improved my design according to the comments given in class. Used image effects to create the sunlight penetrating towards the rose. Changed the grass and added yellow butterflies to symbolize life. Added orange butterflies to connect the two skins together. I used complementary colors like "green and red", split complementary colors like "orange, blue and green".

Final Product:
I felt that using photoshop to do the rose was not smooth enough with the lines. Maybe I used the wrong techniques.. so oh well... I did the rose again using illustrator in the lab. Transferred it over to photoshop and replaced the rose... Now it is definitely so much nicer. =)

The designs I did for my skin basically has only one main focus. The rose or the leaf. I wanted to present nature as it simplest so the designs I did emphasizes on individual main elements. I adjusted the contrast and brightness for my final designs to make the colors more brighter.

Sentiments:
haha... I dont think my designs can be submitted to HP... No confidence! and viewing some designs by others... seriously...WOW!
i look upon the moon and stars at 9:59 AM
0 stars were shining bright even without the moon